Going online is no longer a complicated and cumbersome process. All it takes is a simple wifi connection and a smartphone or tablet device to let you surf the internet.
People now have more convenient means to shop online for groceries or clothes without stepping out of their doors. In fact, there are mind-blowing numbers to back it up.
Online research data group Statista projects that e-commerce sales are bound to see an increase of up to 246.15% worldwide from $1.3 trillion in 2014 to $4.5 trillion in 2021. The data is based on overall online sales through all available e-commerce platforms and cash transfers related to online sales.
A recent report revealed that no less than 80% of the global population owns a mobile device and most of which are capable of online access. Another study showed that on average a person shopping online spends one hour each time before making a decision to purchase.
Risks of online exposure
The Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) reported that in 2017, there were a total of 1,579 high-profile data breaches that compromised 179 million records. The number represented an increase in breach incidents by 44% and a 389% increase in personal and confidential records exposed.
These included 158 million Social Security numbers and 14.2 million credit card numbers exposed in a single year, all because hackers gained access to online database networks.
Of course, it is always best to take advantage of the best available support service, such as those provided by managed IT services Virginia Beach.
Basic steps to stay safe and avoid online fraud
- Never reveal your financial or personal information via email or chat session. Always pay attention to requests for your information online as it can be intercepted or copied from right under your nose.
- Always be on top of your information technology solutions, regardless if it’s for your company or personal service. Make sure to constantly update your security platforms with the latest protection available. Take advantage of the best IT consulting services because you can benefit from it in the long-term.
- When shopping online, make sure to use only safe payment channels when paying for purchases. Credit card transactions are often safe means to make payments for online purchases because payment transactions can be tracked. Better yet, you can opt for cash-on-delivery methods so that you only get to pay for the item upon delivery and not prior.
- Avoid business or payment transactions using public wifi hotspots. You never know if a hacker is lurking in your connected public domain to steal data.
- Update passwords for your accounts regularly. Make sure you create unique passwords that are difficult to trace. Avoid using details that could be linked to you.